This truck started as a 2.5L 4cyl in '93. I bought it in'96 with 95,000 miles and drove it as a 4 cyl for 8 years. The move from 33" to 35" tires finally pushed me to the engine swap in late '04 with the help of Dan Shepley and other Hudson Valley 4 Wheelers club members. The swap was my mental and physical therapy while I was having Chemo treatments for 5 months.
- GM '02 4.3L Vortec V6 engine.
- AX-15 5-speed manual trans.
- NP231 Transfer Case with, 4:1 ratio, 2wd/lo, HD chain, and SYE.
- Tom Wood drive shafts.
- Ford 8.8" rear axle w/ARB and Superior CroMo shafts.
- Dana 30 front axle w/ARB and Superior CroMo TJ style shafts.
- Warn front hub manual conversion kit.
- 4 wheel disk brakes.
- 4.88 gears.
- 35x12.5-15 BF Goodrich M/T KM2 tires.
- 15x7 alloy wheels (I added the yellow).
Body and Suspension
From stock, the first lift was a 2.5" spring swap, then a Skyjacker 6" monoleaf kit for a while, then a Spring Over Axle change in '06.
- SOA w/1.5" Rubicon Express SOA springs.
- Home made front bumper.
- Olympic rear bumper (since 1997, first mod).
- Tomkin receiver rear tow hook.
- AtoZ Rocker Guards.
- CJ 'Jeep' tailgate, w/YJ swing and electric release.
- Flush mounted stock tail lights.
- Gen-Right rear corner guards.
- Xenon Flat Fender Flares.
Almost everything on the truck has been replaced or modified, every moving part for sure. Motor, rear axle, trans, front sheet metal, bumpers, steering box (from a '98 Durango), even the frame (northeast U.S. rust), have all been replaced. The only moving part with the true 175,000+ miles of the vehicle is the top half of the steering column.
- Completely hand made (by me) soft top short cab style.
- Warn M8000 winch with synthetic rope, rebuilt in 2014.
- York onboard air w/2.5 gal tank, air quick connect added to grill and rear.
- Tom Woods T-Case mounted disc parking brake (4.88 times the brake force!).
- Staun automatic air-down deflaters set to 8PSI.
A lot of interior work was done over the years. The dashboard was replaced in 2010 with one from DoubleD Fab.
- Custom flat dashboard.
- Full Autometer gauges.
- JVC Media Player
- Home made console (like a Tuffy, only my way).
- 13" Grant GT steering wheel.
- Spare tire in rear bed when off-roading (no rear seat) for a clean tailgate.